UPDATE (February 4, 2021): Unfortunately, our subsidized program is temporarily on hold while we work to find veterinary clinics to partner with for the program and raise the funds required to operate the program 🙁
Until we are able to accept applications for our program again, we suggest you look into alternate spay/neuter resources such as through the following organizations:
- Winnipeg Humane Society https://www.winnipeghumanesociety.ca/your-family-pet/spay-and-neuter/
- Pembina Valley Humane Society http://pvhsociety.ca/services/spray-neuter-program
- CARE Cat Community Outreach Program https://www.facebook.com/CARECatAdvocacyRescueEducation
Please understand that we can only provide this program when funding is available. Thank you for your understanding.
The subsidized spay/neuter program offers reduced cost spay/neuter for pets from low income households. This program is available thanks to a partnership between Kat’s Kritters Rescue and the Winkler Veterinary Clinic.
Why Spay or Neuter?
Spaying and neutering your pet is the responsible thing to do. Cat and dog overpopulation is a real problem in Manitoba. Millions of unwanted kittens and puppies are born each year and, simply put, there are not enough good homes for them all. The suffering is preventable! Not only will spaying/neutering help reduce roaming, aggression, and territorial behaviours, including inappropriate elimination (spraying/marking), it is also extremely important for your pet’s health. Spaying/neutering will eliminate deadly illness such as pyometra (infected uterus), and significantly reduce the likelihood of your pet developing certain types of cancer.
Who is Eligible?
-This program is open to individuals or families that meet the criteria on our application form and pass our approval process. It is based on the number of people residing in the home and the gross, combined earnings of ALL members of the household.
-The program is open to anyone residing in Manitoba; however, our partnership for this program is currently with the Winkler Veterinary Clinic ONLY.
-Pet must be in good health and weigh a minimum of 1KG/2.2 LBS to qualify.
How It Works
1. EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
2. Complete the application IN FULL and return application form.
3. You will be contacted regarding the status of your application within 14 days. Failure to complete the form in full will result in a further delay in processing.
4. If approved, you will be required to pay Kat’s Kritters Rescue the reduced fee ($50.00 max.) via cash, cheque, or E-Transfer within 30 days of notice of approval. The fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. Failure to follow through with payment will disqualify you from the program.
5. Once payment is received, you will be issued a Certificate. This certificate will have an expiry date 3 months from the date of being issued.
6. Contact the Winkler Vet Clinic to set up your appointment. You MUST schedule your appointment before the expiry date on your certificate. Failure to do so means you will be required to re-apply for the program, and pay again. Inform clinic staff at the time of booking that you are scheduling a spay/neuter for your pet through the Kat’s Kritters Rescue subsidized spay/neuter program.
7. Drop off your pet at the Winkler Veterinary Clinic on the scheduled date/time. Provide clinic staff with the certificate you have been issued. Pick up your pet the same day, at the scheduled time. *Failure to show up for your scheduled surgery appointment will result in automatic disqualification from the program now and in the future.
-Please only apply for this program if you truly need it. Funding for the program is limited, and we want to make it accessible to those most in need.
-Make sure to complete the application form accurately and honestly. Providing false information will result in automatic rejection of your application and will make you, and all members of your household, ineligible for the program now and in the future.
-Kat’s Kritters Rescue reserves the right to deny an application for any reason, without explanation.
–Limit of 2 pets per approved household per calendar year.
Sponsor a Spay/Neuter
This program is only available when appropriate funding is available. Individuals or businesses can sponsor a spay or neuter to help us continue to keep the program open. Learn more HERE.